January 04, 2010

Know Thyself!

Developing a Personal Brand



What is a Personal Brand and why do we need one? 


Branding is about identifying and distinguishing yourself from the crowd. It shows the world what is attractive about you and what you can do for them.


Most importantly, the branding exercise helps you understand yourself through a round of self- analysis and evaluation. Many people go through life not knowing what they are truly capable of, what they want to do or how to sell themselves.


Here are 5 questions to ask yourself:


1.)  What makes me tick?


What makes me happy? Why have I been successful in the past? What drives me, my passions and interests? What would be my ideal role and why did I choose the profession I’m in now?


2.)  What can I deliver?


What have I achieved; results, programs, changes to processes? What successes have I had?


3.)  How do I make my workplace better?


This represents the soft side of your impact on the environment. Are you a good communicator / manager / leader? What do people recall when they think of you? Are you flexible and open to change? What is your working style, your philosophy and contribution? Do people agree and would they be willing to back it up? Can you provide concrete examples of that expertise? What about you is special that no one else has? If you weren’t there, what would the organization be missing out on?


4.)  Why am I in demand?


You may wonder if you are, in fact, 'In demand'. Each and every person is in demand, because it's not about having the specific requirements that an employer may be looking for but rather the skill sets you have that are unique and the value it brings.


These skills could be academic (Ph. D in ...), technology related (experience in instructional design), softwares used, a technique you refined, a new type of methodology implemented and so on. In essence, it is the bits and pieces of your background that pop out and capture attention of others.


5.)  Why should you hire me?



With everything put together, this question should answer how you will add value and why. Exemplify your contribution and offering as an individual, as a team and as an integral part of the marketplace.



Give due effort to the exercise above and it will open your eyes to the choices you have made and direct the ones you make in the future.

(Adapted from Kristi Daeda   www.kristidaeda.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment